Mission and History
Volunteers have a long history as part of Strong Memorial Hospital:
- 1926: volunteers lent their services in the Patient Library and Surgical Dressing Program.
- 1946: the Department of Volunteer Services was established.
- 1975 was a benchmark year, when a small group of fundraising volunteers formed Friends of Strong at Strong Memorial Hospital, which merged with the Department of Volunteer Services. The resulting organization became a single hospital department, managed by paid staff and a volunteer council. The organization is guided by a Council made up of volunteers and staff. This body sets policy, goals, and objectives and supports all aspects of Friends’ work.
Our mission is:
- To function in harmony with the mission and goals of Strong Memorial Hospital
- To provide volunteer services that enhance patient care
- Raise funds to support Strong Memorial Hospital
- To promote a positive image of the hospital in the community
Who Are Our Volunteers?
All volunteers come from the community at large. They are male and female, high school and college students, employed, unemployed, early retirees, and senior citizens.
What Do We Offer?
Friends of Strong provides opportunities for volunteers to gain work experience, a chance to build skills, and to get the “high” that comes from the personal satisfaction of helping others.
In 2005, volunteers donated close to 120,000 hours. Volunteers also raised money for capital improvements through:
- Sales from our two shops–the Gift Shop and Specialty Shop
- Commissions from three Finger Lakes Coffee Roasters bars
- Photographing newborns babies
We are extremely grateful for all of our volunteers!