How to Fix Receding Hairline: Common Treatments
Men of all ages are faced with the challenge of male-pattern baldness, and for many men, it shows its ugly face in the form of a receding hairline or thinning hair. Many researchers disagree about what exactly causes male pattern baldness or hair loss in general but, in most cases, the treatments are the same. Unfortunately, hair loss affects the majority of men, and a receding hairline is a common, embarrassing, and widespread problem. If you have decided to begin the battle against your hair loss, and are looking for effective treatments for your receding hairline, you are not alone. However, deciding which receding hairline treatment option is best for you, especially considering the vast array of options available can be a confusing and difficult process. Here, we outlined some of the most common (and also the most effective) treatments against hair loss in men and hopefully can help you find a fix for your receding hairline.
There are several prescription options and receding hairline treatment available for treating hair loss and thinning hair, especially male-pattern baldness that may be a great option for stopping your receding hairline in its tracks. Of course, you will need to talk to your doctor to get a prescription for these medications.
• Finasteride: Finasteride is a prescription medication that was designed specifically to treat male hair loss. It does so by blocking the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Many researchers have pinned the cause of hair loss on excessive DHT. This medication has been taken safely and effectively for years to reduce hair loss and some men reported that it helped aid new hair growth as well.
• Dutasteride: Dutasteride is a prescription option that was originally created and is most commonly used to treat an enlarged prostate or prostate hyperplasia. However, it has been discovered that dutasteride has the ability to help slow the progression of male pattern baldness and help restore hair growth in many men.
• Anthralin: Anthralin is a medication typically used for psoriasis as a topical medication, but has also been used to effectively treat hair loss and, in some cases, has even helped men re-grow their hair.
Over the Counter Medications and Herbal Remedies
There are several over-the-counter medications that have been regarded as just as effective as the prescription options. Even though you do not need a prescription to try these methods, you should still always discuss with your doctor before starting a new hair loss routine. These medications are typically either topical solutions or herbal supplements. Some of the most popular over the counter options for treating a receding hairline and male pattern baldness include:
• Corticosteroids: Corticosteroids are topical creams that help reduce the inflammation around the hair follicles, which may help promote future hair growth, as well as prevent further hair loss. They are usually inexpensive and are rather safe, with very little risk for serious side effects. Corticosteroids need to be applied every day to see improvement.
• Minoxidil: This is a topical solution, usually known as Rogaine that is approved by the FDA as an effective treatment for combating hair loss. However, the effects of the medication cease when the medication is no longer used, so you have to continue to use minoxidil every day to continue to see results.
• Stinging Nettle Capsules: Stinging nettle root has been used for hundreds of years as a remedy for hair loss. The herb itself stimulates hair growth in healthy follicles and can help strengthen and thicken existing hair.
• Saw Palmetto: Saw Palmetto is another supplement that helps aid in preventing hair loss. It is also a natural DHT blocker, and when used in combination with stinging nettle root, has shown to be incredibly effective at re-growing hair.
For extreme cases of hair loss, hair transplant surgery is available. The surgery is not very invasive but is typically time consuming and expensive. However, modern hair transplant techniques are incredibly effective. Hair transplant procedures typically include removing hair from other parts of the head and splicing it into empty follicles where hair is sparse. This can make the hair look more evenly distributed, but does not increase the amount of hair on your head. This is one of the most effective treatments for treating hair loss where small patches of hair are missing, like with a receding hairline.
Many essential oils have been tested against the battle of hair loss and some have proven to be effective. Peppermint oil has shown great effects, especially when used in tandem with herbal supplements like saw palmetto and nettle root. In addition, lavender oil can be used on bald areas to help heal and soothe irritated follicles, which can aid other medications in aiding new hair growth. Burdock root oil helps improve the circulation to the scalp when applied topically. This is one of the most important precursors to new hair growth, so this oil is great when used in tandem with other medications as well.
DHT Blocker Shampoos
DHT blocker shampoos are among the most common and effective treatments for hair loss in men. They work by limiting the production of the 5a-reductase enzyme, which is the catalyst that turns extra testosterone into DHT. By reducing the enzyme, DHT levels are also reduced dramatically. Excessive DHT is thought to be the leading cause of hair loss, especially in men, and many people have seen improvement in their receding hairline when using a DHT blocker shampoo every day.
Hair Loss Medication for a Hair Loss Routine
It is important to note that most medications are not a quick fix for hair loss. In fact, many men try a variety of options before they ever find one that works well. Another important thing to consider is that many medications only work while they are in use, so you cannot discontinue use of the medication and still expect to see results. The best way to combat hair loss is to create a daily hair loss routine that works for you and stick to it.